market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] salad mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] salad mix
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 19:48:54 GMT

I do have a lot more lettuce than greens. I guess I will just have to play
around with what I end up with and when I think it looks about right, then
I'll have my mix!
Voles or whatever: the holes in the ground are small, about quarter, to maybe
half dollar size. Not much in the way of dirt piled around each hole.
Whatever it is, they aren't bothering the lettuce at all. It is just the Cole
crops. And, the crops are just barely starting to leaf out again, so I guess
if we can keep pepper spray on them, the chewing will stop.
We've got dogs, we've got cats, we've got coyotes, hawks, owls. Plenty of
natural predators so I don't get why it is so bad this year.
We did not plow our fields this year though. Weather wouldn't allow it, and
we mowed off crop residue from last year, tilled and planted. I don't know
why that would make a difference, but it is the only thing I can think of
that we have done differently.
Carla
Perkins, OK

Nutrition