market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] garlic question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] garlic question
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 19:52:48 -0400

THANKS!  All best wishes, Karen

On Mar 21, 2010, at 5:19 PM, Road's End Farm wrote:

On Mar 17, 2010, at 6:42 AM, Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland wrote:

I have planted some Mexican grown garlic seed (don't know variety,
but is purplish white skin).  Since this is tropical location,
getting cloves is a long shot anyway, but how would I know when the
garlic may be ready without digging?

Rather late to this, and I know nothing at all about growing tropical
garlic, but: harvest your garlic when about half the leaves have died
or or clearly dying, but about half of them are still green. A little
too soon is probably better than too late.

If you wait till the tops have gone down all the way as they can on
onions, the garlic bulbs will be opening out into individual cloves.
They won't look right, and won't keep as well.