market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] chickens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynnn AT wildblue.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] chickens
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:23:36 -0600

At least one year’s lost lay = 200 eggs/12 = 16 dozen * your price

Plus (unlike Kathryn, I would ADD) $15 to raise new pullets to laying age.

Plus 3# * $/# for stewing hen value

They’re not cheap at that rate!  We had 3 roaming dogs last week and one killed a pullet. They’ve just started laying.

We didn’t know who the dog belonged to but shut him in the corral and the owner found out via the grapevine and came to collect him. He was very apologetic and offered to replace her which I didn’t take him up on (this time) but if it happens again I will. He also said if the dog were chasing livestock of any kind he wouldn’t blame anyone who put some buckshot in the dog’s rear end.

So sorry – I know it’s tough

Marcy