market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] salad mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "William H Shoemaker" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] salad mix
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:21:42 -0500

They are generally on the surface of the ground but through the plant
material growing there. We have 2 acres of vineyard and because we had snow
cover for 3 months, they created huge areas of runs under the snow cover.
After the snow melts it looks like tunnels in the turf with the tops partly
lopped off. They meander all over the place. I'm really surprised they
didn't harm our younger vines at all. But they did some damage to young
apple trees out in a new orchard.

Bill