market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bobbett <bobbett AT windstream.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] garlic
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:02:21 -0500

Marie Kamphefner wrote:

Regards to the list:

Has anyone ever planted garlic cloves into cells, then transplanted when the
soil can be worked? Or would I be better off just waiting until who knows
when to plant them in the field? Every year when I can't get the cloves
planted in the fall, I usually can find a day in January or February to
plant them; but not this year!
Two days ago we had beautiful weather (about 60), and I put in my elephant garlic cloves directly in the ground as I do every year. I'm a big grower/seller of elephant garlic, but for some reason always put aside 1/3 of my crop to plant in mid-winter. I find that they bulb up just fine and are usually harvested about 2-4 wks behind the fall-planted cloves of the same variety.

I don't know if standard hardneck or softneck garlic will also grow ok given the same circumstances, but elephant garlic does fine.

I don't know how your cell-planting would work, but you might want to give it try. Give them BIG cells because what you want to do is create a big root system; they need to create that good root system first before putting energy into growing greens.

Around here next week it's supposed to go into the 50's. Perhaps you could get some of your cloves into the ground then?
Bobbett in Kentucky