market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] onion sets or onion plants?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "William H Shoemaker" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] onion sets or onion plants?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:20:00 -0600

Sets won't make the high quality bulbs that the plants will because they are
older, bienniel plants that have shifted into the reproductive stage. You
can see my comments in the previous post I made. But they could be useful
for growing bunching bulb onions early in plastic. I'm not sure that's the
best use of plastic though. I think your large fresh bulbs from plants would
be better.

Bill

What has your experience with sets vs. plants? I'm thinking about switching
from plants in plastic mulch to using sets in plastic mulch instead--much
easier for people to handle. I've often heard that plants result in a
higher quality onion.

Scott

Scott Breneman
Farm Manager