market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] storing garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave or Kathy Campbell" <dkcampbell AT southslope.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] storing garlic
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:57:32 -0600

If it truly went rotten, you either didn't cure or store it right. Others
gave info on those steps I won't repeat. However, properly cured & stored
garlic still may go "bad" in spring, by sprouting. It sprouts because of
its internal clock, or by being exposed to either moisture or light. You
can cut out the sprouts and save the garlic by just freezing the cloves in a
plastic food bag, or (better) by chopping them fine and mixing with olive
oil to a paste, spread on wax paper, and roll up to store in the freezer.
Garlic frozen either way loses its texture, but not its flavor, and can
still be used in most recipes...
==Dave & Katharine Campbell / Tiffin IA / Zone 5a