market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] onion sets or onion plants?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] onion sets or onion plants?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:06:45 -0600

Generally, for highest viability, onion seed should be fresh every year-the seed doesn't store well long term. (I always test all saved seed for germination percentages before sowing)

I have never noticed any substantial difference in onion quality in sets vs seedlings; usually one or the other is chosen to suit the variety desired, the planting method to be used or available greenhouse space.
 Seedlings are often a better choice for mechanical transplanting into plastic mulches and more varieties can be tried if you have the space to start seeds.  The most important first decison to be made is whether you need short day onions or long day onions.  Mixing those two types up can result in bolting-because of light requirements-no matter what else you've done. Growing your own sets is easy but it is done during the growing season when there are so many other things to do and you must store them.  Transplants are started in late winter when there is less of a time crunch; no storage required.
Best quality onions are always the result of good fertility, temperature controls-mulch/timing, the best variety for your zone-check with locals for their advice, lots of timely irrigation and correct harvesting.
Shawnee, zone 5