market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] garlic
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:58:08 -0500

Marie,
I have planted a couple of bulbs in a 6" pot and in a gallon bag in past years, to show the inner-city kids I help teach how plants grow and develop. They got lush topgrowth but have never made a decent bulb. I surmised this was because I had them in the classroom and never let them vernalize, but for my purposes that didn't matter. Root growth is amazing in the gallon zip-loc bags. I don't know what would happen if you put them into cells, but I'm thinking the roots would feel pretty cramped.
HTH,
Bill Huhman