market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Soft neck garlic for NY

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Soft neck garlic for NY
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:07:12 -0500

On Feb 23, 2010, at 9:29 PM, Beth Spaugh wrote:

Rivka - what softnecks do you grow?

Now there is a question with a confusing answer.

I am growing what may or may not be four different strains of softnecks, and I know a couple of them only by nicknames. What I think I have:
Polish White
French Red
Ron Bennett's
and something I only know as 102.

Every garlic I've grown for more than a couple of years starts coming out of my soils slightly purple. The Polish White and the French Red both look about the same color. -- I've had other people tell me they had similar color results; one person, with different soil than mine, said everything he grows starts coming out white by the time he's had it a while. So I'm not sure how much garlic color has to do with soil, as opposed to variety.

The soil here is clayey loam with rocks. Grows lovely garlic, though, even if it isn't supposed to.

(The hardnecks I grow, in case anybody's curious: Italian Purple and German Red.)