market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse plastic
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:55:36 -0600

In my experience, this is one place not to economize.    I use an anti-condensate film...makes the condensation sheet down the sides and not form annoying little drips.  Also, the technology has come a long way and there are coatings that can disperse the light according to what  crop you are growing.  Research and marvel at the choices.
 There are several good brands with multiple year lifespans.  I have-very nervously-kept the plastic years past it's recommended life and so far gotten away with it...although this can take equivalent years off my life in the middle of the night during a January storm.  Lucky so far...and way older too.
Also, be sure to get clear about how to install the film of your choice.  Rule of thumb, you should be able to read the brand name correctly when standing inside the house.
And! choose the calmest day possible to install...not a molecule of air moving.  3 of us were once literally pulled off our feet by a 15 mph breeze.  When you lay out the film beside the house prior to installation, do not let any hungover assistant to walk over the plastic with muddy boots.  You will see those footprints overhead forever.
One other tip for the paranoid like me:  buy two inflation fans and keep one as emergency backup.  They are cheap and can earn back a little of the time that you lost  worrying over trying to get through one more season on 6 year old plastic.
National Greenhouse Manufacturer's Association has other good specs. including weight load and wind stress if you need.
Shawnee, zone 5