market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fertilizing Young Plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fertilizing Young Plants
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 12:49:21 -0600

I try to always bottom water also and like your method.  Sometimes I include half strength Drammatic fish/kelp emulsion-enzymatic processed- More robust seedlings get a pelleted chicken manure included in the germinating mix.  (I fill a germinating flat 2/3 with a germination/fertilizer mix on the bottom, then top off with an inch of plain germination soil on the top so that the seeds are not near fertilizer but their roots will grow down into the nutrients. This usually results in fat little plantlet)  Everybody gets a couple of doses of compost tea too-from the bottom.  Disease problems or fungus gnats are a rare problem this way.
Shawnee zone 5