market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seed Catalogs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seed Catalogs
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 08:37:49 -0600

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:02:01AM -0500, Road's End Farm wrote:

> While I'm at it: where would I get "lady peas"? (and will they
> actually grow up here?) I did a little research on this and think I
> might be looking for something like Mississippi Zipper Cream, maybe??
> -- a friend of mine used to be given these by a neighbor in her long-
> ago Southern USA childhood; I promised to grow a few for her if I
> could find them.

You're probably referring to lady cream peas. They have lost
popularity because of the small seed size - more labor to produce a
unit. Willhite let me down:
http://www.willhiteseed.com/
They are a good source for Southern peas.
Wax is another:
Wax Seed Company
PO Box 60
Amory, Mississippi 38821
800 647-1226
I don't think they have a website and I don't believe they sell less
than 50lb.

However, you can buy these that are sold for eating and I'm almost
certain they will make good seed:
http://www.cajunsupermarket.com/product_info.php?products_id=971

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 787 days 3 hours 32 minutes