market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seed Catalogs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: michelle rome <michelleann7 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seed Catalogs
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 17:04:55 -0800 (PST)

> From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net> wrote: While I'm at it:
> where would I get
> "lady peas"? (and will they actually grow up
> here?) I did a little research on this and think I might be
> looking for something like Mississippi Zipper Cream, maybe??
> -- a friend of mine used to be given these by a neighbor in
> her long-ago Southern USA childhood; I promised to grow a
> few for her if I could find them.
>
> -- Rivka; Finger Lakes
> NY, Zone 5 mostlyFresh-market organic produce,
> small scale

Hi
'Lady Peas' are sometinmes called "lady finger peas" because they are thin
and slender. These southern peas are kinda interesting growing and one of my
favorite that I grow. Peas can sometimes form uypright like an open hand.
Seed is scarce. I save my seed. They take along time to grow (about 90 days
or so in the most heat of the summer.) If in NY I'd plant late May or early
June and they should make with a hot summer. But they make take a couple of
weeks longer up your way or not be so filled out. Please send me your address
and I will try to gather a 1/2 to 1 lb to ship you. Black plastic would help
if you believe in such a thing.

Regards,
Michelle Hromyak
Romy Farms