market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fertilizing Young Plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fertilizing Young Plants
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 16:22:39 -0500

On Feb 12, 2010, at 4:56 PM, Marty Kraft wrote:

I have been using an Omega product purchased from Peaceful Valley to
mix with the water when i water seedlings in flats. I create a bath
using 6 mil poly plastic sheeting by surrounding 4 flats with 1X2s. I
pour the mixture in the plastic lined "lake", leave for about an
hour, then drain. The Omega 6-6-6 works great. It is just expensive
and costly to ship. I am curious what others do when they water their
seedlings.

Thanks

Marty Kraft

I water with 4-2-4 fish emulsion with seaweed (there are several similar brands available, I use Saltwater Farms) only when/if the plants seem to need it. I use a compost-based potting soil (again, there are a number of brands, I use McEnroe's) so there are enough nutrients for most plants for the first several weeks in the potting soil.

The particular brands that make most sense may well depend on the farm's location -- if I were on the West Coast I'm sure I'd be using something else. There's a dealer about 45 minutes' drive from me who carries the McEnroe potting soil, which helps a good deal on shipping.