market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] ice storm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: farmersue AT myfairpoint.net, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] ice storm
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:55:36 GMT

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and great advice. We made it
through the night with no loss of power. 140,000 other Oklahomans are without
power though. The ice has turned to snow at this point so we should be OK
from here on out.
Our greenhouse is small, homemade, but vital to this farm. As you all
know,you simply can't go out and buy the varieties that we all prefer to grow.
The heater in the greenhouse runs on either diesel or kerosene. We need
electricity to run the blower on it, and the thermostat that keeps it cycling
on and off. It's not the best system obviously, but we've always taken the
approach of "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" We worry more about high winds
or tornado's than ice storms.
We will certainly be rethinking our heating situation and try and come up
with something a little more storm proof.
Thanks again,
Carla,
Perkins,OK

Nutrition