market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] ice storm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] ice storm
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:00:15 -0600

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 07:22:19PM +0000, cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:
> Thanks Marcy! My husband was out trying to find a generator with no luck
> but he did come home with an inverter. We'll rob a battery off the tractor
> and hopefully it will run the heater in the greenhouse. If not, trudging to
> the house will be the next option. Good grief! This is Oklahoma! We're not
> used to weather like this. Yesterday I was outside working and it was in
> the high 60's. That is more typical than this stuff.

A typical car type battery will have less than 1 KWH of energy in it.
I would guess more like 1/2 KWH. Disregarding inverter losses and
the need to not completely deplete your battery, that will be less
than 1,000 watts for an hour or less than 100 watts for 10 hours.
Your typical space heater will draw 1,000-1,500 watts, a heating pad
maybe as low as 100 watts.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 775 days 8 hours 53 minutes