market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] ice storm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Hugh + Tuuli Cartmill <orufarm AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] ice storm
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:54:54 +0200

I'd agree with Sue and double cover. I lost my heating system at the weekend just gone and had outside -30C at night. It took 48 hours to get the heating back but the coldest I had inside was about -5C at the edges and perhaps -3C in the centre. The days were sunny and the temp went up to +5C. The house is poly double inflated. I lost all my basil and some other herbs but most came back once the heating came on. I have a "mini greenhouse" at one end which is a frame with old poly stretched over the top and it's about 5" high. I use it for seeds which need light to germinate. None of the freshly germinated herbs in there were lost. I trust your power will be OK but have the extra cover ready and get it on as soon as possible.

Hugh, Estonia, Europe