market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seeding peas in trays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chrys Ostrander <chrys AT thefutureisorganic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seeding peas in trays
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:20:14 -0800

Yes, looks like you'd need 1000' of gutter, but as Kate says, it's totally reusable. You'd need 100 pcs of 10' gutter. If the gutter is 6" wide, you'd need a space of 10' x 50' in a hoophouse to do the job. I guess it's up to the individual grower to decide if this is a) feasible and b) worth the investment. Gutter pretty cheap.

Chrys

At 08:50 AM 1/25/2010, you wrote:

On Jan 25, 2010, at 11:40 AM, Kate Halstead wrote:

> Growers around here start their peas in sections of plastic roof
> gutter
> filled with starting mix. They aren't that unwieldy if you cut the
> 10 ft
> lengths in half. Don't really need end caps if you are gentle when
> watering
> and don't plant right to the very end. Can easily be set over heat
> mats.
> When it's time to transplant, make a trough in the soil
> approximately the
> same depth/shape as the gutter. Push each section of peas right off
> the end
> of the gutter into the trough.

Do I understand you correctly that for 1000 row feet of peas you would
need 1000 feet of gutter?