market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seeding peas in trays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seeding peas in trays
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:19:13 -0600

Greetings,

Sorry, I do try to remember to type in Texas. Once upon a time I did know how to create a signature line, but I haven't had time to find the function again.

We do 300' of both cucumbers and melons each year. Usually about 5 or 6 different varieties, so about 50' of each type. Normally I start two trays of each, when using 36s. My main crop is tomatoes, and I do 2400 sq.ft. of raised beds, planted 32 per 100 sq.ft. All heirlooms, no chemicals, last year, we didn't spray anything and with the hard freezes we have had this year, I expect to be able to do that again. I do pick horned worms by hand, every morning.

We garden the way a backyard gardener with all the time in the world, would, but on a large scale. Very labor intensive, but our customers are willing to pay top dollar for us to do it. My tomatoes start at $6/lb and go up to $10/lb for the tiny currant tomatoes. Labor to pick the darn things being what sets the price. This year I have 33 varieties of tomatoes. Last year certified organic tomatoes were $4.50/lb in the same market, the few there were. We have a strange situation, we are a zone lower than every other grower in the same market. The market is in Houston, they are all zone 9, we are 2 hours north and in zone 8B, so with a lot of hard work, I can produce tomatoes all summer, outside. We have gone for top quality rather than quantity, for us, it works. Our farm is our sole income.

90% of our pest management is soil management. The healthier our gardens start, the healthier they stay. We also use trap crops and mechanical means of trapping moths.

Bright Blessings,
Kim

Allan.Balliett wrote:
Hi, Kim!

When you post, it's always helpful for those of us who hang on your every word if you mention where your farm is.

Also, in a case like this, it would be nice to know how large your plantings are. That will help me decide whether or not I've become too lazy over the years.

thanks!!

-Allan in WV

Greetings,
We do it every year. I use the deep 36 trays for corn, beans,
cucumbers, melons and okra.
Bright Blessings,
Kim