market-farming - [Market-farming] Multi-planting onion starts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robb, David" <David.Robb AT aspireindiana.org>
  • To: "'market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Multi-planting onion starts
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:09:38 -0500

Hello.  Great list!  I just joined.  I work for a large mental health non-profit that has just established an organic produce farm to provide employment (and therapy) for our clients.

My Question:  We grow many thousands of storage and sweet onions which we start inside in non-plug trays.  I came across the idea of putting 4 to 5 onion starts into a single plug of a larger plug tray (say a 24 count) and then transplanting those out when the time is right.  Coleman says they will grow in a clump and develop normally.  Anyone out there try this?  Seems like a time saver…

David R - Indiana