market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seeding peas in trays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seeding peas in trays
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:07:59 -0800

I get around $1 a pound and sell smaller tomatoes in 6 pound baskets for 50
cents a pound. I live in a state with an income of $75-90 thousand dollars
per household but live in a county where the income is $10500. Most all my
customers are retired folk or migrant farm workers. Also in NJ the tomato is
an invasive species and it grows like a weed everywhere so there are just too
many around to be of any value.

I like to grow peas in 50 cell trays and I think 72 cell is best. One problem
with larger pots is the plant needs more time to root into the soil media to
be easy to remove for planting. Jiffy peat pots work well for peas they make
a pre loaded tray that you just pop into a 1020 flat and fill with dirt. I
like the jiffy's for root sensitive plants like seedless watermelons... Bob.