market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA worker payment

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: E C GRANATA <elainegranata AT msn.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA worker payment
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 17:12:57 -0700

What Doren said in her post is how I approach it -- translating the discount into a wage is not what it's about -- there is the added value of the experience of helping to grow your own food, learning more about gardening, as many of my workshares say they want to do, and, dare I say it, the theraputic value of being outside working with their hands, which most of them don't otherwise do.  I always offer them food to take home in addition to what they get in their share.

I pay my hired help $10.00 an hour, more if they're experienced.

Elaine
Denver