market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] was CSA worker payment: now interns

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Allan.Balliett" <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] was CSA worker payment: now interns
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 18:52:03 -0500

I can't give you an IRS Chapter and Verse answer to this question, but we asked the IRS directly about the taxability of intern stipends and were told that they are wages and as such are subject to withholding and taxation. It seem to me that a stipend, by definition, are funds to offset expenses so that the intern can learn the job. This may be the case when the intern files their return, but as an employer, Federallly, I'm required to take withholding, etc.

-Allan in WV