market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing of spinach now

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: farmersue AT myfairpoint.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing of spinach now
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:10:48 -0500

Unless I use additional infrastructure to grow the product I never change product prices.

I'll argue that customer loyalty is better without changing price to reflect spikes in whatever you are growing be it for a restaurant or market consumer.

If you are growing it in something that requires additional infrastructure, such as hoop house or low tunnel and you are truly growing out of season than I think its acceptable to charge more.

Of course not everything thinks this way and that's OK too.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855