market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing of spinach now

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing of spinach now
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:50:57 -0500

True Marcy, but we are talking about miniature or young greens at this point and pricing should reflect each as a different product that requires a different effort.

I sell to restaurants 2.50 a pound.  That number does not change because I know what my costs are.  I am not selling large quantities yet, no more than 40 pounds a week right now.  That price stays stable all year round and they know they count on that.

I also sell what I call "thinnings" which I sell for 15.00 a pound and micro greens for 13.00 a tray.

Each is designed for the amount of infrastructure or labor that goes into the product.

Ironically, this season I have done little work in my beds.  The cool temps have kept the weeds down in beds that are fairly weed free and while growth is slower as our hours of sun lessen rain is more plentiful.  I have literally done almost nothing except plant and harvest they last two months.  I'm actually making more money off my lettuce right now than in the summer.

As we end the season, or begin it, there is always a lean period and while my prices do not change the quantities may.  That's what happens for those of us that are not growing in Southern California.  :)

There is only so much free energy to harness in the winter.  I simply grow denser rows, sell more thinnings and micros and less larger leafy greens.  Regardless of the season the product is always of high quality.  So I guess the point I am trying to make is that if I can still grow and sell greens fresh from my unprotected garden beds in the second half of November, in Southwestern Ohio with no row covers or irrigation and have someone willing to buy everything I pick for a price we agreed upon, well, I am happy to get that.

I think that, in the end if I go into the year knowing that need to gross a minimum per square foot in my high density gardens and a minimum dollar per acre on the rest of my farm the extra 50.00 or 100.00 I squeeze out of my customer isn't necessarily worth losing a reputation for being fair and honest (not to say that changing prices is not fair or dishonest).

I hope that makes sense.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio