market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing of spinach now

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynnn AT wildblue.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing of spinach now
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 06:49:20 -0700

I see your points Richard, both on infrastructure and customer loyalty. Good considerations.

On the other hand, the growing time (and regrowth) is much slower early and late season. So we usually charge higher prices both early and late.

I guess it might be considering the yield/foot of row, and of course the baby stuff that takes forever to harvest and field wash!

Marcy

SE Colorado

From: market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Richard Stewart

Unless I use additional infrastructure to grow the product I never change product prices.

I'll argue that customer loyalty is better without changing price to reflect spikes in whatever you are growing be it for a restaurant or market consumer.

If you are growing it in something that requires additional infrastructure, such as hoop house or low tunnel and you are truly growing out of season than I think its acceptable to charge more.

Of course not everything thinks this way and that's OK too.

Richard Stewart

Carriage House Farm

North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855