market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farms, CSA's or markets using locallygrown.net

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Flying S Farms <farmerwantabe AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farms, CSA's or markets using locallygrown.net
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:00:01 -0600

We have used www.stonesriver.locallygrown.net for the past 2 years. We know some folks that do 3 of the locally grown locations and are very pleased. We started SRLG late last year, full time this season, we've been very pleased with sales. SRLG is only 2 years old, it is beginning to grow and gain customers. It opens Sunday afternoon, closed Tuesday evening, late Tuesday we receive email as to what our product orders are and we deliver the orders to the Market Manager on Thursday evening, get paid and he does the deliveries.  Summary..post your product online, get orders, bag orders, deliver orders..done!! Con's..computer time and pictures, no extra sales, no customer contacts.

We've sometime include a 'gift' in customers orders, we grow a different type of okra than most and gifted the customers that week with about 1/4 pound..order for okra increased next week. We've also done that on some breads we were getting ready to post on the market with a label saying 'coming soon to SRLG', increased sales.

Our Market Manager said we could post a picture of our CSA Baskets with information but we chose not to, we did put brief description in our bio and link to our website. We figured folks that read our bio will respond but we felt people that are shopping on the locally grown are looking at the whole market and what is available that they can pick and choose from.

One piece of advice, put pictures of your products, personalize yourself ie brand yourself. Look at the 'mother site' at www.locallygrown.net and the other locations and see how folks have themselves and products posted.

You are welcome to email off board with any further questions.

Ben and Catherine Simmons
Flying S Farms
Woodbury, Tennessee
615-542-1078