market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:09:59 -0400

On Thu, 28 May 2009 08:01:14 -0400, Richard Stewart wrote:

> If done properly I'll argue that deer, especially, for smaller
> farmer/gardeners, should be a manageable problem that requires observation,
> numbers management (hunting), and simple deterrents with the understanding
>of
> deer needs during poor foraging periods.

I'd like to believe that's true, but here in the rural suburbs of Boston,
I've got probably 30 deer who move through my 10 acre property, part of a
much larger population that now permeates the entire area. As one of the few
farms around, I've got the best winter forage in the neighborhood. I'd let
them have my overwintering clover and rye, and the run of my hay fields in
the spring, but they don't stop there--the rhododendrons, the white cedars,
the tulips, the raspberries, the whole huge garden, the pumpkins in the fall.
I don't see a solution other than complete exclusion from the property. I'm
still puzzling the best way to do that, and am leaning toward 8-foot plastic
fence.

rant over...

--
Richard Robinson