market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 06:30:00 -0500

Greetings,

Crows are really smart birds, they remember stuff. So, early in the season, before anything is actually ripe, put some properly painted holiday ornaments out, as if they were ripe fruit or tomatoes. Crows attact the plastic bulbs and discover they aren't edible. They remember that even though that garden looks good, they can't eat it. When your fruit come in, they leave it alone.

I still have ticks, and there have been fire ants here longer than I have been here. Keeping the grass shorter helps keep them off the dogs.

Bright Blessings,
Kim

Willie McKemie wrote:

What! No fire ants? Thirty years ago, we had to pick ticks off the dogs (and ourselves) daily. Then, the fire ants came in. Now, we might go a complete year and not see a tick.
Last year, for the first time, we had some trouble with birds (presumably crows) ruining a large fraction of our tomatoes. Scare Eyes seemed to have helped. I've had crows dig up entire rows of freshly planted pea seed. They also take a noticeable fraction of our peaches.