market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 13:00:08 -0400

On Wed, 27 May 2009 18:54:33 -0400, you wrote:

>Thanks to everybody for their suggestions! I like the idea of the
>double-fence the best - and will let you all know how it works out.
>
>Thanks again -

We live on the outskirts of a small town in a VERY rural area, abounding in
bobcats and coyotes. The deer are manageable here. We see them every day,
in a meadow across the street from our place. But never a large herd - I
see them in ones or twos, usually a mother and her young. The largest
group I see routinely is four deer.

They have never gone into our garden - which has a four foot fence! This
is not even an obstacle for a deer. We do, however, have two dogs. I
think that 'predator urine' really works. Plus the deer have plenty of
other things to eat. There aren't so many of them around that they run out
of other food.

I've lived in suburban areas (NJ, DE, and MD) which were actually overrun
with deer. I can remember driving down a small road in northwestern NJ,
with a herd of about 30 deer on each side of the road running along, just
keeping pace with my car. Very thrilling: but also very scary, as they are
apt to leap out onto, or right in front of, cars.

This very rural, quite isolated area doesn't have nearly as many. I
suppose the bobcats, coyotes, and (even just maybe mountain lions) account
for that. And the hunters, of course.

Pat
-- North-Central Pennsylvania, USA
www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

The world has enough for everyone's need,
but not enough for everyone's greed.

Attributed to Mahatma Gandhi.