market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 13:16:56 -0500

Here in Texas, it is said that there are two types of habitats: those
that have hogs and those that do not yet have hogs. My farm went from
the latter to the former last year. The hogs didn't do great damage to
the crops, they seemed to be after gophers and soil insects. But, they
did a lot of digging and rooting both in the pastures and vegetable
fields. It was quite a chore to get the ground evened out for this
year's planting, though. Ride the bucking tractor. Even with the
lower hot wire just an inch or two above ground, the fence did nothing
to keep them out. Last season, we killed four 400+lb hogs. This
season, there has been little hog trouble though there are bunch of
smaller ones out there. All of them striving to become big ones.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 530 days 7 hours 01 minutes