market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer Fencing
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 06:34:27 -0500

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 02:21:38AM +0000, cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:
> Perkins, OK This has got to be the year of the tick. My gosh! Or tater bug!
> Bugs everywhere, on everything!

What! No fire ants? Thirty years ago, we had to pick ticks off the
dogs (and ourselves) daily. Then, the fire ants came in. Now, we
might go a complete year and not see a tick. Reminds me of the joke:
Two hippies were living off in the woods of east Texas. They were kept
awake nights by the incessant croaking of frogs. They would go out
every once in a while and shout at them. The frogs would go silent.
But for only a few minutes. At the local farmers market, one hippie
came across a guy selling baby alligators. He bought several and
released them in their ponds. Silence. Sweet silence. "What
happened? Where are the frogs?" asked the other hippie. "I released
some alligators. Isn't it wonderful?" "Yeah, now we only have
alligators. Growing larger daily. And reproducing. Looking for
things to eat."

Our fence might do some good on coyotes; we generally loose no more
than half the watermelon to coyotes. Coyotes don't seem to bother our
cantaloupe.

Last year, for the first time, we had some trouble with birds
(presumably crows) ruining a large fraction of our tomatoes. Scare
Eyes seemed to have helped. I've had crows dig up entire rows of
freshly planted pea seed. They also take a noticeable fraction of our
peaches.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 531 days 7 min minutes