market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 18:25:16 -0400

On May 25, 2009, at 4:44 PM, Pat Meadows wrote:

Last year, I grew Jericho (a romaine) because it was recommended as
'non-bitter' even in heat. It was definitely bitter. Based on my
experience, Jericho probably wouldn't be a good choice.

In general, I do think that romaines tend to stay better in hot weather
than other lettuces, however.

I have had fairly good results with both Jericho and Parris Island Cos in what passes for midsummer heat around here, as long as they're a) grown under shadecloth and b) harvested reasonably young (I harvest as full heads, but not usually extremely large ones).

However, in my experience some of the summer crisp / Batavian type hold better than romaines (try Anuenue, and maybe Cherokee, though I've only one year's experience with that one so far); and Simpson Elite green leaf lettuce does too.

I start lettuce every two or three weeks; in large part because nothing resists bolting forever.