market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "waldenfarm" <waldenfarm AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:52:37 -0400

Yes, they were called Batavian by Cook's when I first ordered them back in 1991. I sell them as Batavian still because it sounds more exotic and expensive. I also call them a gourmet variety and explain to customers that they're not available from stores because they're too tender to ship. This is part of my marketing plan- to not try to compete with big stores, growing what they can't get or is always slimy in the stores.

Of course you have to have what people demand, too. But I've been able to convert a lot of "Iceberg Only" customers by giving them a head to try and explaining that it has more nutrition content.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pat Meadows" <pat AT meadows.pair.com>