market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:50:27 -0400

The "crisps" do well for us under blazing Dominica sun year round -- Nevada, Anuenue, Cherokee, Magenta. They also are -- with Romaine -- my favorite eating lettuce and form attractive, small heads that hold up well at market and are well received by our customers. Magenta is unusual, wonderful texture, very special. Some Romaines also do well -- Winter Density (go figure...), Jericho, Green Forest; the reds not as well. Despite stronger sun, our day time temps in summer tho generally stay below mid 90's, night time 80's, with good (often too much) rain.

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Roots Farm
Organic Produce