market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Danielle Conger <danielle.conger AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:03:26 -0400

Road's End Farm wrote:

However, in my experience some of the summer crisp / Batavian type hold better than romaines (try Anuenue, and maybe Cherokee, though I've only one year's experience with that one so far); and Simpson Elite green leaf lettuce does too.

I grew both Jericho and Anuenue last year in Maryland, zone 6, and didn't care for the Jericho at all. I'll be growing Anuenue and baby lettuces this summer under shade cloth. Last year, I was relatively successful with growing throughout the season, but had trouble with aphids and crickets making it inedible for a time.

--
~~Danielle
Touch the Earth Farm