market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "waldenfarm" <waldenfarm AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:00:45 -0400

I've grown lettuce all summer for years- taking lettuce to market from May thru Oct. I'm in Zone 7a in east Tennessee. I do it without shade cloth- I found this just makes plants "leggy" and taking it off and putting it back on the beds every day was time consuming.

The main secret is a variety that is not day-length sensitive. Try the "Crisp heads. The first one I tried was Nevada from Cook's Garden- this was before the large seed cos. started carrying them. I found Nevada to be the best for summer growing. Most seed cos. carry this now- I know Johnny's does.

Most lettuces are day-length sensitive. This means that they turn bitter and "bolt" (send up flower heads in response to day length- sort of, "It's summer! Yikes! Better reproduce before I burn up!") Planting a variety that doesn't respond to day length is the first key. (Plant physiologists now say that it's the short nights that stimulate, but to a farmer- what's the diff?

The next key to stopping bolting is to reduce stress- any plant starts blooming if stressed- again, "Yikes..." One of the main stresses is lack of water, causing wilting. So, soil water level management is the second key. Keep the soil at optimal water level for availability to the plants. BTW, too much water in a poorly draining soil will also stress the plants.

Another thing that stresses plants is heat build-up in their tissues. Water moving through the plant acts a coolant. Plants will wilt if their tissues get too hot, even with sufficient water in the soil. The way to cool them is with overhead watering. On a small scale like mine, this means using a watering fan on low pressure about noon every day. I add enough water to the plants to cool them down. On a larger scale, you could use a timer and sprinklers.

I'm sure you'll be able to adapt to the plants' needs there in Texas. Let observation be your primary tool and it doesn't hurt to read up on plant physiology.

Good luck!

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm