market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 16:44:22 -0400

On Mon, 25 May 2009 08:49:48 -0500, you wrote:

>I've never grown lettuce before and was wondering what I'd have to do to
>grow it here in west Texas around Midland/Odessa. If I plant it under shade
>cloth, do you think I'd be able to grow it in July, Aug., and possibly Sept.?

I don't think so. I live in relatively cool northern Pennsylvania, at
about 1700 feet in altitude, and I can keep lettuce growing through summer
*in dappled shade all day* or *in morning sun followed by really solid
afternoon shade*. But it's very rare for us to have any temperature over
90F. It's even rare for us to have 90F. Even so, my lettuce needs to be
shaded in July and August if it is to grow at all.

>If it's possible, what kind do you recommend? I don't think bitter lettuce
>would sell.

Last year, I grew Jericho (a romaine) because it was recommended as
'non-bitter' even in heat. It was definitely bitter. Based on my
experience, Jericho probably wouldn't be a good choice.

In general, I do think that romaines tend to stay better in hot weather
than other lettuces, however.

Pat
-- North-Central Pennsylvania, USA
www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

The world has enough for everyone's need,
but not enough for everyone's greed.

Attributed to Mahatma Gandhi.