market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing Lettuce Question
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:29:28 -0400

On Tue, 26 May 2009 09:00:45 -0400, you wrote:

>I've grown lettuce all summer for years- taking lettuce to market from May
>thru Oct. I'm in Zone 7a in east Tennessee. I do it without shade cloth- I
>found this just makes plants "leggy" and taking it off and putting it back
>on the beds every day was time consuming.
>
>The main secret is a variety that is not day-length sensitive. Try the
>"Crisp heads. The first one I tried was Nevada from Cook's Garden- this was
>before the large seed cos. started carrying them. I found Nevada to be the
>best for summer growing. Most seed cos. carry this now- I know Johnny's does.

I didn't know about the crisp heads until this year when I noticed them in
the Johnny's catalog. They have some red varieties too, and a few other
greens.

The catalog is on my desk at the moment; I want to order some seeds for
summer and fall soon. I'll give Nevada a try.

Johnny's calls them 'summer crisp' lettuce and says that they are also
called 'Batavian' or 'French crisp,' by the way. So this is interesting.

Pat
-- North-Central Pennsylvania, USA
www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

The world has enough for everyone's need,
but not enough for everyone's greed.

Attributed to Mahatma Gandhi.