market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] planting out tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Roni" <murphy05 AT windstream.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] planting out tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 10:41:25 -0400

We have a native heavy clay soil. It has been amended with compost/manure and green manure/cover crops for a couple of years, so it's a little better now. Never had a trouble with deep planting yet. What happened to when they are planted in heavy clay soil? Is it a water drainage problem or something else?
Also, I'm growing on a smaller scale, only about 80 tomato plants last year. So they can be babied more than a larger operation.
Roni