market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] planting out tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] planting out tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 09:24:33 -0500

It was very nice under the mulch. In fact, on some beds we had to run
the drip tape for a while to be sure there was ENOUGH moisture for the
transplants. 'Course, it rained buckets again Tuesday morning, (and
Wednesday, and yesterday, and early this morning - 4-5 inches this week
we think!), so they are all plenty hydrated now since the rain goes
through the planting holes.

The beds are not raised. The flat bed layer is adequate for us, takes
less horsepower, and costs a lot less. The good thing is that when we
COULD till (even though it wasn't optimum) last week, we did, spent the
day laying enough plastic to do all our first planting, and then it
didn't matter if it rained, we could still plant. This year,
especially, it has made a huge difference.

Permanent aisles in clover sound REALLY nice.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm