market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] greenhouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sharon and Steve" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] greenhouses
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 09:48:18 -0500

What greenhouses do you all think are the best ones? And what about wood
stoves in them?
Thank you all very much.
Sue
Vermont

I am biased in that I own and also worked with Harnois greenhouses for several years traveling most of the U.S. and seeing what happens to greenhouses foul weather events. In quality structures the answer is "very little".

In an Harnois Ovaltech house you can stand up straight and walk all the way to the side wall, in most others you have to bend down to do anything within several feet of the wall.

This straighter wall also makes roll up side vents much more effective.

Harnois makes a quality structure, they can and will provide signed and sealed engineering documents as to its design. If others cant or wont, there is probably good reason!

I did wood heat for several years ( one season here I had 7 wood fires to tend...dont go there!)but kept wondering why trees had to die to grow geraniums, put in a waste oil system which worked well when I went to a quarter acre under cover, but here in retirement I will be doing the little I do ( a 25 foot section of my 27 x 70 house)with trash wood.

Were I to replace my greenhouses here, today I would have an outdoor wood water stove, one that has the options of using an oil, corn, or pellet burner. It would be one that is big enough and capable of burning round bales of hay!

MAsteveINE

formerly with

Greenhouse Supply Inc
Brewer, Maine