market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] greenhouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] greenhouses
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:41:17 -0600

I agree with Steve about the giant exterior wood burner with a boiler/ radiator which I would use as bench heat and ebb and flow irrigation.   But just today I was lugging the first of endless loads of damp wood to a hungry old woodstove which occupies an annoying amount of growing space.  (The stove is a supplement to a gas Modine)  Plus, if the ventilation fans come on during a sunny day, they pull the smoke back into the greenhouse....lots of fun.

I also agree that finding a local vendor  for the structure is a good idea.  And this : don't skimp on ventilation/ horizontal air flow fans/motorized shutters. (I once had to use old furnace fans hung by chains from the roof across a 3000 foot house.  Goofy)  The National Greenhouse Manufacturer's Association has a manual of specs that you can printout...helps to calculate ventilation, snowload et al.  Currently I use inflated poly  house with a gravel floor  that rocks and rolls in average winds.  Sometimes I page through the specs manual the way other women might look at a jewelry catalogue.  I do recommend that you build as much space as you can afford; you will surely find a way to fill it up.

Shawnee, zone 5 and searching for that old tarp to cover the wood pile