market-farming - [Market-farming] Pricing Ripe Apricots?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Pricing Ripe Apricots?
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 13:41:08 -0400

Marlin,

For what its worth, last year we charged $4.75/qt and $2.50/pt for our conventionally grown apricots. Both pints and quarts are always heaped up to where you cannot get any more on. Pints sold better than quarts.

Yes, it seems like a lot of money (to me anyway). We do have a lot of tourist and summer home folks up where we are.

For a comparison, we sold peaches for $3.00/qt, as did all of the other stands. And cherries were around $6/qt.

So far, we are looking at a nice crop too. Hope yours make it. There is NOTHING like a fresh apricot!

Tom
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market
Catawba Island, OH

Marlin wrote:

(snip)
I'm also interested in others' experiences with marketing apricots and what
I should be able to charge for them. Considering some of the production
costs and risks I would need to price them pretty steep in order make a
little on them. I sure hope my wife can find a little time to make some
more of that jam. Anyone who has never tasted any of her raspberry and or
apricot jam has simply not lived!

Marlin Burkholder
Virginia's Shenandoah Valley

Still waiting for the winter of 2007-2008 to begin.