market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] agribon 15

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: farmersue AT hughes.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] agribon 15
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 12:32:43 -0400

On Wed, 7 May 2008 16:01:48 -0400, you wrote:

>I have another question about agribon.
>
>Can I plant cucumber seeds and squash seeds in the ground, then when they
>germinate, then cover them up,. Or do I need to cover the seeds as soon as I
>plant them?

There's (possibly, depending on how many you grow) a third alternative: I
start both cukes and squash in cellpacks, indoors or on our deck, and then
transplant them.

This would be over-laborious if you grow hundreds of them, obviously. But
it's good if you don't grow too many; they get a really good start that
way.

Then when I do transplant them out, I put hoops with floating row cover
over them until they are somewhat larger - until they are large enough not
to mind flea beetles.

I don't like to put floating row cover *without* hoops on anything: when I
tried it several times, mold grew under the row cover and (I think) killed
the plants. Something killed them at any rate; and there was mold visible.

Pat
--
Northern Pennsylvania

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY