market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why do it II

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why do it II
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:05:02 -0500

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:49:29AM -0400, Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
> From: "TradingPostPaul"
> > I'm on one acre myself and garden part of it profitably, and
> > alone at 64.
>
> There's profitable, then there is making a living. Profitable just means
> getting back more than you put into it. I farm (pasture-raised beef and
> some eggs and vegetables sold from a farmstand), and I turn a profit of
> $3,000-4,000 in a good year.

>I< would consider "profitable" to be having money left over after you
paid yourself $10-$20 an hour and after you paid yourself several
hundred dollars per acre for land rent. And, of course, after you
amortize off all your equipment and improvements. You should not
consider temporary positive cash flow to be "profitable".

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 134 days 2 hours 59 minutes