market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why do it II

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why do it II
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:09:07 -0400

Can you fill out the syntax there a little? I'm not sure whether you are
saying sweet corn grosses more or less than 20K. And are you saying that
selling at farmers markets make this easier than...what--a roadside stand?

Than wholesale or CSA, though I do have a CSA. Partly pricing and partly
being able to decide to just not offer a less profitable item. I am trying
to figure out the equivalent needed through a CSA that picks up at our
place, packs their own containers, etc. There is easily some stress/time
savings in the CSA by having the marketing done during slack time, but I
have not figured out just how much it costs me to be at a farmers market,
compared to hosting CSA members. There is the travel expense and market
fees, and maybe a helper at the stand, so about $100/day. There is time
packing the truck, and two hours driving, that I don't have with the CSA.
But I don't have the records to convert that to cost per product. And my
prize farmers market is a good high priced market. Many of those interested
in CSA are looking to reduce their food costs, and those coming to a
farmstand if we build one will be mostly bargain hunters. Most of my good
friends have to be cost conscious. This is not a big city area with big city
incomes and food costs.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com

Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Francis
Moore Lappe