market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why do it

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why do it
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 22:36:38 -0500

I've been following this list for quite some time and it seems as though most people just do this for fun, to get their hands dirty. It seems like the toughest part of Market-Farming is not the farming part but the Marketing part. Why is it that is seems most people are lucky to break even? Why can't you make a decent living supplying the growing organic market? I don't understand what the main difficulty is. Marketing?

On one level, this is one of those questions that is answered by this....well, if you have to ask, (you won't understand the answer)(and you can't afford the price.)

As I become more involved with the history and ethnobotany of what and why we grow what we do, I see a distinctly American approach in the posts on this list.  In the end it's all the same...if you're going to grow, design, build, manufacture it...you gotta sell it to somebody unless you were born independently wealthy.  That would be the main difficulty.  You seem to suggest that there is something wrong with loving what we try to finance our lives doing.

Shawnee, zone 5, and no rodent problems in the greenhouse since the cat had kittens.

How well do you know your celebrity gossip? Talk celebrity smackdowns here.