market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why do it

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BCLuton AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why do it
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:22:49 EDT

Good marketing (and markets) are essential.  Along with a whole array of other "things".

But the reality is that the most well oiled farm business you can muster will likely never realize the profits potentially associated with many other businesses.  Its like comparing apples-to-oranges in some cases.

The profit margins are very slim.  This has to do with a whole array of controllable (and non-controllable) factors.  Costs of production in agriculture can be high and our farm gate prices don't always aptly capture those costs +.

Among other factors we're impacted by "what the market will bear".  We live in a nation that tends towards cheap food and expensive health care.  Per capita we spend less of every earned dollar on food than most of the developed world.  It shows.  Obesity, Diabetes, Heart Disease, etc. are at epidemic proportions in our society simultaneously as nation (with some exceptions) we have a pretty ugly or non-existent food culture.

This is just one of many factors that impacts profitability in agriculture but its a very real one.  The fact is we should likely be paying more for food.  We need to consider not what food costs but what food is worth.

Brian
Central New York